Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Quick and delicious appetizer or as a main meal.
Mussels in white wine and tomato garlicky sauceCourse: Appetizers, RecipesDifficulty: Easy
5 lbs. of fresh mussels in shells
1 tsp. of sea salt
1 large onion, finely diced
5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1 can (14.5 oz.) of crushed or diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of white wine, preferably dry
1 cup of heavy cream
1 cup of parsley, chopped, divided
6 tbsp. of butter, divided
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp. of olive oil
Garlic bread for serving
Let’s make it
- Wash the mussels very well, discard any opened ones (they are not safe to eat).
- In a large pot melt 2 tbsp. of butter, add olive oil and fry onion with some salt on a medium high heat until tender and little bit caramelized.
- Add wine and simmer until it’s reduced until about half.
- Add tomatoes, parsley and the rest of the butter. Bring it to a boil.
- Add mussels, cover the lid, bring it to a boil and simmer for 5 min.
- Add cream, lemon zest and juice and simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove any mussels which did not opened, they are not safe to eat.
- Sprinkle with more parsley and serve with some garlic bread.
- If you have never cooked mussels, you should know, that you need to discard any opened mussels, after you wash them and any not opened ones, after you cook them. They are dead and not safe to eat.
- Mussels cook very very fast. 5-8 minutes, depending on the size is totally enough. Do not over cook it, otherwise you are going to have tough, dry mussels, instead of soft, buttery and juicy.
- Garlic, white wine and tomatoes are the best mussel’s friends 🙂