Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
If you are not familiar with U12 shrimp, it’s a size of shrimp, meaning that in 1 pound will be under 12 shrimps. It’s very large and juicy shrimp. What’s the biggest shrimp size? Extra colossal shrimp is the largest size available in seafood markets with counts as large as 5 shrimp per pound. However, there are Asian tiger shrimp that weigh 7-11 ounces each with a count of just 1-2 per pound. I have made with smaller (size 16-20) shrimp, works just perfect. I leave the shells on, because it prevents from drying out and shrimp cooks in that gorgeous seasoned garlic butter.
Butterflied Grilled U12 ShrimpCourse: Main, AppetizersCuisine: Sweet Zivile
3 lbs. U12 shrimp, shells on
1 stick unsalted butter, heated in the microwave for 1 min.
2 tbsp. flat leaf parsley, finely chopped or 1 tbsp. of dried parsley
1 tbsp. Cuban Citrus Seasoning
1/2 tsp. white pepper
1/2 lemon juice
Let’s make it
- Cut each shrimp from the back to open it flat. Remove any visible dark veins.
- Mix butter with the rest of ingredients except lemon juice together and brush each shrimp generously from the meat side.
- Preheat your smoker or grill to 400-450 F.
- Grill/smoke shrimp placing shell side down for 5-7 minutes, just until it becomes opaque and shrinks a little bit. Please see the video below the recipe.
- After it’s done, remove it from the grill/smoker and squeeze some lemon juice.
- Serve immediately or room temperature.
- It can be made with any size shrimp.
- You can brush with butter a few hours in advance and keep it covered in the refrigerator until it’s time to grill.