Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
This salad is something out of this world. It can be a quick lunch (even if it requires oil infusion, don’t be scared), side dish or served as an appetizer. Enough talking, let’s get started!
Butter Bean Salad with Infused Olive Oil and Zucchini RibbonsCourse: Recipes
2 cans of butter beans, rinsed, drained
1/2 medium red onion, sliced
1 small zucchini
2 handfuls baby arugula leaves
1 cup of olive oil
1 lemon juice
1/2 lemon zest
1 lemon peel without white part
3 springs of fresh thyme
2 springs of fresh rosemary
5-6 leaves of fresh sage
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp Szechuan pepper or any other red pepper
Let’s make it
- Start with the olive oil infusion. In a medium size pan pour oil, add sliced onions, herbs, lemon peels and start heating over medium low heat. Heat stirring occasionally until onion becomes soft, no need to brown it. Don’t rush the process, let it steep slowly, it won’t take long, maybe 6-8 min.
- Drain and rinse beans, place in a salad bowl.
- Using a veggie peeler or mandolin slice zucchini in thin ribbons and add to the beans.
- When onions are softened, remove rosemary, sage and thyme stems, no need to remove lemon peels, they will be delicious in salad. Add all the onions and a good amount (don’t pour it all, but don’t be stingy either) of still hot oil to the beans and zucchini.
- Let it cool for 5 min, then zest lemon zest, squeeze lemon juice, add slat, pepper, red pepper, arugula and mix well trying no to squish beans.
- You can add parmesan shavings on the top right before serving.
- Can be made a couple of hours in advance.