Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Succulent Cajun Flavor Roasted Chicken with Asparagus Cauliflower RiceDifficulty: Easy
Weeknight night. You get home from work and think what to make what wouldn’t require a long time preparation and standing in the kitchen? Well.. good news! I am sharing with you my easy-peasy dinner idea. Throw in the oven, take a shower or a bath, have a glass of wine or a cup of tea and by the time you are rested, dinner is done and time to serve.
You can marinate chicken up to 3 days in advance and then just left to place it in the oven.
My chicken is always very moist and succulent. The secret is to use a meat thermometer. It is #1 important step. Never skip it! Place it in and you don’t need to guess if it’s done or needs more time. I promise it will never be dry. Cook it up to at least 165F in the thickest part of the thigh. Do not go over 170 F, otherwise it will dry out.
1 whole organic chicken, 4-5 lbs., spatchcocked
2 tbsp. of sea salt
1 tbsp. of Cajun seasoning
5 tbsp. of unsalted butter
1 tbsp. of black pepper
1 tbsp. of garlic powder
2 tbsp. of extra virgin olive oil
- Cauliflower rice
2 lbs. of cauliflower, riced
1 lb. of asparagus, chopped
2 handfuls of kale , chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbsp. of unsalted butter
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. of black pepper
1 tbsp. of lemon pepper
Juice and zest of 1/2 of lemon
2 tbsp. of Sweet Zivile chili oil
Let’s make it
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Spatchcock the chicken. That way it roasts much faster and more even.
- Pat dry very well with paper towels.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil.
- Place the chicken on the baking tray. Sprinkle all the spices all over the chicken and rub it well even going under the skin, but try not to rip it.
- Take 4 tbsp. of butter, divide it in 2 pieces, roll them in spices on the tray (what fell off the chicken) and place them under the breast skin.
- Place the chicken flat skin side up. Place 1 table spoon of butter on the breast. Drizzle with some olive oil and place it in the oven. Even if it’s not up to the temperature yet. I do that all the time. Works perfectly for me.
- Stick the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the chicken. Cook it until it reaches at least 165 F internal temp. It will take around 1-1.30 hours.
- Let it rest for at least 10 min before you carve it. It is important step #2.
- Cauliflower rice
- While chicken is resting, it’s time to make 5 min side dish and serve the table.
- Melt butter in the frying pan and add garlic for 60 sec or until it’s fragrant.
- Add cauliflower, asparagus and kale. Cook for 3-5 min stirring occasionally.
- Add spices, lemon zest and juice. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy!