Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Easy, light, beautiful and very delicious weekend brunch idea. But hey, who said pancakes are only for breakfast?! You can have them any time of the day. Let me share with you how I make them.
Lemon Ricotta and Poppy Seed PancakesCourse: Breakfast, MainCuisine: ItalianDifficulty: Easy
12 oz. or 350 g. of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup or 125 ml. of milk
5 large eggs
1 1/4 cup of all purpose flour
1 lemon zest and juice
4 tbsp. of sugar
1 tbsp. of vanilla extract
2 tbsp. of poppy seeds
A pinch of salt
1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
Oil for frying
- For serving
A handful of strawberries and blueberries
1/2 tsp of powdered sugar
Pancake syrup of your choice
Mint leaves. Pares very well and gives a nice freshness.
Let’s make it
- Get 2 bowls and separate egg whites from the egg yolks, trying not to get any of the yolks in the whites, otherwise it won’t whip.
- Mix ricotta, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest together.
- Mix flour, poppy seeds with the baking powder and add it to the ricotta mixture.
- Beat the egg whites with the hand mixer to the stiff peaks.
- Add the whites to the ricotta mixture gradually. 1st add 1/3 and mix it well, then add the rest and fold it in with the spatula, trying do not deflate the whites. You should get very airy and light mixture.
- Preheat the pan with a little bit of oil and form the pancakes using a table or serving spoon. I used a serving spoon, which probably would equal 2 table spoons.
- Cook approximately 2-3 min per side.
- Serve immediately with some fresh berries, powdered sugar, pancake syrup and fresh mint leaves.