Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Cured salmon is very popular at Eastern European breakfast table to serve with the best quality you can get white or rye bread, butter and a slice of lemon. Beautiful and refreshing addition to potato pancakes.
Cured Salmon | Classic European Lox RecipeDifficulty: Easy
3 lb. or 1500 g of fresh or previously frozen salmon file. Can be with or without the skin.
50 g. or 1.76 oz. of sea or kosher salt (not a table salt) (or 10% of the fish weight)
150 g . or 1.76 oz. of white sugar (or 10% of the fish weight)
Black pepper to taste
Chopped fresh dill
Let’s make it
- Wash the fish and dry well with paper towels.
- Mix salt, sugar, and pepper together and distribute evenly on both sides of the fish.
- Place fish into large deep dish (it will release moisture) or some plastic bag, and put fresh dill on the top.
- Place in the refrigerator for 48-72 hours flipping it occasionally (every 4-6-8 hours or so).
- After 48 hours, wash the fish under running cold water and dry well with a paper towel. You will feel the texture has changed, now it’s more firm and darker in color.
- Cut in very thin slices, squeeze some lemon juice and serve!
- It can be kept in the refrigerator up to 7 days, or 3 months in the freezer.