Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Whos is up for a piece of pie? Low sugar, quick and easy desert. You can eat it as is or sprinkle with some chocolate shavings or have it warm with some ice cream. Anyway you choose it’s delicious!
Cherry and Almond PieCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
1 3/4 cup of all purpose flour
3 tbsp. of sugar
6 oz. of butter, cold, cubed
3 tbsp. of ice cold water
A pinch of salt
1 lb. of frozen dark sweet cherries, pitted, thawed ( I got it at Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup of sugar
1/3 cup of heavy cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
2 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. of pure almond extract
2 tbsp. of cherry juice, from thawed cherries
1/2 cup of roughly grounder almonds
Let’s make it
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a food processor add flour, sugar and salt. Pulse for a few seconds.
- Add cold cubed butter and pulse for a few seconds until become fine crumbs.
- Add water and process until starts to clump. It still will be separate crumbs, but when you press in your palm it stays together.
- Dump all the crumbs on the 9 inch baking sheet ( I used a ceramic pie dish) and form a crust pressing crumbs with your fist to the walls.
- Bake in the oven for 15-17 min or until it starts to change color.
- Take the crust out of the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 355 F.
- In a small bowl mix eggs, lemon juice, lemon zest, cream, vanilla and almond extract and pour in the pie shell.
- Place cherries on the top and sprinkle almonds.
- Bake for 35 min at 355 F, then reduce the temperature to 325 F and bake until it’s set and not jiggly anymore, for approximately 10-15 more minutes.
- Let it cool and set for 20-30 min before you slice it.
- Serve with some chocolate shavings (you can shave it with a veggie peeler), ice cream or just have it by it self.