Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
KibinaiCuisine: LithuanianDifficulty: Easy
This is my dear friend’s Juste family recipe. She was very kind and shared it with me over 20 years ago. Thinking and miss her each time I make it.
It is a national recipe of Karaite ethnic minority in Lithuania. Mostly associated with city Trakai. If you ever visit Lithuania you must to try kibinai in city Trakai, next to Trakai castle which is on an island in Lake Galve.
- For the dough
1 kg or 2.2 lb. all purpose flour
400 g. or 14.1 oz. of Margarine (the fattest you can get)
250 g. or 1 cup Sour cream
- For the stuffing
1 kg. or 2.2 lb. of minced pork (not ground, but cut in very very tiny pieces), 30% of fat.
Salt and pepper to taste
Let’s make it
- Grate margarine with veggie grater.
- Add eggs, beat with a hand mixer just to come together.
- Add sour cream and beat just to incorporate.
- Add flour, beat with mixer until you can, then knead by hand just to come together (it kneads very easily).
- Put in a plastic bag and put in a refrigerator for the night.
- Roll, cut rounds, stuff with meat mixture and make kibinai (like dumplings).
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake in the preheated to 375 F oven for 20 min or until golden brown.
- Serve with chicken broth on the side or eat just like this.