Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
When we travel, I always like to grab some homemade food, place in a cooler and have it rather than stop for a pathetic burger on the road. It takes only 20-30 min to prepare and you can make filling a day before and just fill up puff pastry pockets and shovel in the oven and you are done! These turnovers are great for any day snack, travel, park, school or work lunch or casual parties. If you replace store bought mushrooms to wild mushrooms and sprinkle with caraway seeds instead of sesame seeds, you will get a real flavor of Lithuanian turnovers. Let’s get started!
Chicken and Mushroom TurnoversCourse: Snack, mainCuisine: Lithuanian, WorldwideDifficulty: Easy
- For the filling
1 lb. or 454 g. chicken leg meet, ground
2 tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. or 227 g. white mushrooms, ground or finely chopped
6 oz. or 170 g. (approx.. 2 large) portabella mushrooms, ground or finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. oregano
1 tbsp. fennel seeds, whole
1 tsp. granulated garlic
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
2 tbsp. “Sweet Zivile” Chili Oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- For the pockets
2 packages (17.5 oz. or 496 g.) puff pastry squares (8 squares in each package)
1 egg + 1 tbsp. water, lightly beaten (egg wash)
1 tbsp. of black sesame seeds, optional
Let’s make it
- Preheat the oven to a puff pastry package instructions.
- Ground the meat with a meat grinder, then if you ground, ground the mushrooms, if you are using a pre-ground meat, then chop the mushrooms and onion finely.
- Preheat the frying pan with olive oil and fry chicken until it gets some browning. Here is my video how easily to break the meat in the frying pan.
- Add onions, garlic, spices and fry for extra 3-5 minutes.
- Remove it from the pan and let it cool to room temperature or you can make it a day before and keep it in the refrigerator. Do not use hot/warm filling to fill up the puff pastry, the dough has to stay cool as long as possible before it hits the oven, other wise it will be soggy and won’t puff up. You also can fill up the turnovers and keep it in the refrigerator for a few hours before you bake them.
- To fill up turnover, place the baking sheets with some parchment paper, place the puff pastry square, put ~ 2 tbsp. of filling on one side.
- Close the empty side over the filling and slightly press to remove any air pockets and glue the edges with your finger tips. Do not need to use any bonding, like water or egg. It will stick together just fine.
- Then press slightly with the tips of the fork to secure the edges. Not all the way through, just maybe a half way.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with black sesame seeds or you can substitute it with any other seeds, like poppy seeds, caraway seeds, white sesame seeds etc. or just skip the seed part all together.
- Bake it in the oven until it’s golden brown (15-20 min). Check so bottom wouldn’t burn.
- Serve it hot or room temperature.