Please note that this post contains affiliate links and any sales made through such links will reward me a small commission – at no extra cost for you. This helps me to create more posts like this. Thank you for your support!
Delicious, nutritious and colorful spicy meal. It can be done in under 30 min! While your fish is roasting in the oven you make chickpeas and mint sauce. By the time the fish is done, you are ready to serve. How cool is that? Let me show you how I make it.
Indian Inspired Mackerel with Chickpeas and Mint SauceCourse: MainCuisine: IndianDifficulty: Easy
- For the Mackerel
6 mackerels, cleaned
2 tbsp. of fresh turmeric, grated or smashed in mortar and pestle into a fine paste
3 red chili, deseeded and finely chopped or smashed in mortar and pestle into a fine paste. You can leave the seeds in, if you would like it more spicy.
1 tsp. of red chili flakes
2*2 inch size fresh ginger root, finely chopped, grated or smashed in mortar and pestle into a fine paste
Salt and pepper to taste
2 lemons, sliced in slices
1 tbsp. of garam masala or curry powder
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped or smashed in mortar and pestle into a fine paste
3 tbsp. of olive oil
- For the Chickpeas
4 cans of chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 tbsp. of vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
5 garlic cloves, finely chopped or smashed in mortar and pestle into a fine paste
2 tbsp. of ground coriander
2 tbsp. of curry powder
1 bunch of coriander
1 lemon, juiced and zested
- For the serving
1 medium tomato, chopped
A handful of fresh chopped cilantro
1 zested and juiced lemon
- For the Mint Sauce
1 English cucumber
2 cups of fresh mint, finely chopped
2 cups of yogurt
1 lemon juice and zest
1/2 tsp. of sea salt
Let’s make it
- Let’s start from the fish. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
- Clean the fish and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make 4-5 slices on each side of the fish so spices would have more of the surface to penetrate.
- Mix all the spices with olive oil, making a paste.
- Rub the mackerel with oil and spice mix trying to get as much as you can in all the cuts, inside the cavity etc. and place it on a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Add lemon slices in all the mackerel cuts and inside the cavity.
- Place it in the oven for 20 min.
- In a meantime let’s make Chickpeas and Mint Sauce. In a large skillet fry onion and garlic in oil until onion is cooked and tender.
- Add curry and coriander powder and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and cook it until it dries out a little bit, for ~ 5 min.
- Mix in lemon juice, coriander leaves and set it aside.
- Mix all the Mint Sauce ingredients together and set it aside.
- Time to serve. In a large plater place all the chickpeas and place mackerel on the top.
- Replace cooked lemon slices in mackerel with fresh ones. Top everything with chopped tomatoes, cilantro leaves, lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Serve with the Mint Sauce and enjoy!